Saturday, April 5, 2014

King Charles and the Cavaliers.....on TV?

For my last blog post I discussed the exterior architecture and features of Downton Abbey’s Highclere Castle, but for this post I want to talk about the art found inside the castle. The 8th Earl and Countess of Carnarvon occupy and operate this castle when filming for the TV series is not going on. The Carnarvon family has been living in this castle since the 1800s and has acquired many interesting and unique art pieces to promptly display around the massive castle. Lady Carnarvon said, “There are 15th century Italian embroideries in the Music Room, and 18th century silk bed hangings, and 400 years worth of European and English paintings and furniture throughout the castle. Not to mention those 5,000-year-old antiquities from Egypt.”
  

The one piece of art that stands out to me the watch while watching the TV program is the large Anthony Van Dyke painting on King Charles I in the state dining room. This portrait, dating back to 1635, shows King Charles and all his cavalier glory as his rides his horse into battle.

Photograph of the Dining Room in Highclere Castle
http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2013/02/downton-abbey-house-tour.html

This connects to history class because we just learned about the British civil war. We learned how parliament didn’t like how Charles was running the country and felt they had certain privileges that he was disobeying and how it started a civil war. We learned that King Charles and his supporters (the cavaliers) fought the parliament and their supporters (the roundheads with leader Oliver Cromwell). We know that the Roundheads won so to speak and thus starting the era of Cromwell and the Commonwealth.  



I like how they incorporated such an important part of England’s history in a TV show through art. I do however find it a bit peculiar that they would pick him when he lost the war and eventually beheaded. It shows that even though the cavaliers lost the war and England spiraled into a period of commonwealth, Charles still has some supporters even centuries after he was executed.


Source:
http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/about-us/history-of-highclere-castle.html

9 comments:

  1. Great blog Dennis! I think it is very interesting how there is history everywhere, even in some of the TV shows that we watch. I think that it is interesting that this painting is hanging in the dining room because we also learned in class that once Cromwell came to power, people started to miss Charles I because Cromwell was such a strict and cruel leader. This really shows that people came to become fond of their King even though they had had him beheaded. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Dennis! I liked that you took a TV show that you watched and noticed something interesting about the decoration, but took it further than that. I also wonder why they chose to have a portrait of one of England's leaders of their Civil War... I would challenge you to add some more detail to your description of their war, but overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! I have unfortunately never watched this television show. I liked and appreciated the length of your post. It would be really cool to see this art in person. I liked the picture that you included. Your connection with the British civil war was very true. I wish that you had more connections to history class. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! I think it is cool that history can be found in TV shows! Your title really intrigued me and it made me want to read your post. Your blog post provides the reader with lots of details, and I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I never realized how much history can be found in TV shows that many people watch today. Having you title in the form of a question made me want to read you blog. You provided many important details, and the picture you chose works well with the post. I enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your blog post, I liked the incredible detail you put in about the different art in the castle. It was also really great how you were able to compare the English civil war to a T.V show that many people watch and like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dennis, cool connection between a current TV show and King Charles! Even though I have seen this episode I never would have noticed the painting that you disused while watching. Next time I would proofread a little more because there were a few sentences that were slightly confusing. Over all you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that this is a geat piece of writing. First, you wrote about a something that a lot of people know about so it makes the read a little bit easier. Sencondly, I thought that the information was detailed, interesting and informative. Lastly, I think the picture you put at the ned was very helpful because it really helped me understand what the painting looked like. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked reading your blog post I liked the amount detail you put in about the different stuff in the catle It was good how you compared the English civil war to a T.V show that many people enjoy.

    ReplyDelete