Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Botticelli: The Birth of... Lady Gaga?!

As usual, I was listening to Artpop, Lady Gaga's new album, and I realized that there were a lot of references to Renaissance art and artists.  First of all, the album is called Artpop, referring to how she's integrating art with pop culture.  Also, there's a song called Venus and a song called Donatella.  Donatella is mainly about how she's the female version of Donatello.   In the song Venus she sings: "Aphrodite lady, seashell bikini."  Aphrodite is the Greek version of Venus, so they're almost the same person.  I think that that verse is a reference to The Birth of Venus by Botticelli.  The Birth of Venus was painted between 1482 and 1485.  In class we didn't discuss this painting, but we did discuses The Adoration of the Magi painted in 1475 by Botticelli.
http://www.uffizi.org/artworks/the-birth-of-venus-by-sandro-botticelli/
http://www.uffizi.org/artworks/the-birth-of-venus-by-sandro-botticelli/
This year at the American Music Awards, Lady Gaga gave us a fierce performance with an art twist.  She preformed her song Applause, which doesn't have any obvious art allusions, but was dressed like Venus! She wore a seashell bikini and got her hair done like this goddess of love.  Though some people argue that her outfit was too revealing, I liked the idea that she's trying to integrate Renaissance art into pop culture.  Ever since her new album came out I've been a lot more interested in art.
I absolutley adore the fact that Lady Gaga is doing this.  The Renaissance was an amazing period in time that lasted from 1400's-1700's and most people don't really have respect for it.  She probably increased many people's respect for this time period.  She already increased mine and made me much more interested in it.  It makes me wish we had studied more about it.  Being honest, if I could go to any time period I'd go to the Renaissance and experience the golden age.
All information on The Birth of Venus was got http://www.uffizi.org/artworks/the-birth-of-venus-by-sandro-botticelli/

9 comments:

  1. this post screams fierce love it, the fact that celebrities care about history and connections are able to made is so cool. I'm a sucker for symbolism, so this post really drew me in. Lady Gaga has found a higher platform of respect in my view (Even though it was still always very high, love her) and I think that more people should be educated in History before making harsh judgments on her clothes. If more people knew the truth they wouldn't ridicule her clothes, they'd bow done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of this post immediately caught my eye. I was intrigued by the fact that Lady Gaga resembled the renaissance. You did an amazing job comparing how she was a symbol of the renaissance. There were a few words that were repeated in the sentence so I would go back and check for any repeated words. This post h makes me think more about the songs that people listen to everyday on the radio, and connect it back to our history class. You did an exceptional job on this blog post. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gustavo,
    I think this is the best post that I've read so far. First of all, when I read your title, I was immediately intrigued. I had no idea how you could possibly relate a Renaissance artist to the reigning queen of pop music. But, once I read your blog it made complete sense. Now that you point this out, I think that if I listened close enough, I could find many historical references in music today. I also like how you broke it up with many paragraphs and a picture. This was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you made this connection while listening to Lady Gaga. I find it very interesting how she made connections to the renaissance. I also like how she made herself the female version of Donatello because she is an artist in her own way. Overall, I found this post very interesting and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title of your piece really made me want to read more. It got me interested in the topic. I also like how you used a topic that was very realevant to what many people are interested in, pop culture. You made a topic like history, interesting and i wanted to read it from the first sentence. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title of your piece really made me want to read more. It got me interested in the topic. I also like how you used a topic that was very realevant to what many people are interested in, pop culture. You made a topic like history, interesting and i wanted to read it from the first sentence. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! This connection is random, in a good way, and was so interesting. It connects to something that almost all teenagers are aware of which made it even better. Even the title pulled me in right away. Good job on being able to connect our history class to something in pop culture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked how you connected the painting with someone who we're all familiar with because it makes it easier for the readers to see how Botticelli's work is still relevant. Also, your title was very random, but in a good way, because it was so random that i couldn't help but read it! Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed how made the connection of the art from the renaissance with Lady Gaga. I never really thought about what her songs really meant. Also, I didn't realize that what she wore at the American Music Awards had to do with Venus. Good job and nice topic!

    ReplyDelete