Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thanksgiving: Then and Now

In history class, we have been learning about the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving. The first time I heard, I was quite fascinated by how much thanksgiving has changed. I was quite surprised to find out that they most likely ate duck and and lamb, and that turkey wasn't even in their mind. The first Thanksgiving lasted more than one day, or one afternoon, it lasted for a couple days to a week. So the ideas to shrink the amount of time spent celebrating, and what to eat, have totally changed the original copy of Thanksgiving. For me, now it feels weird to say that how we celebrate Thanksgiving these days is "original" or "traditional", because it is so different from the one back in 1621. 





          I found an article online called HOW THE FIRST THANKSGIVING MIGHT HAVE BEEN by Michael Strauss.  In the article, Strauss talked about how people at Plymouth colony, in Plymouth Mass are going to reenact/recreate the first Thanksgiving. Strauss included the schedule of this man named Mr.Shoumatoff, who would be participating in the recreation., "On next Saturday, also at 2 P.M., Mr. Shoumatoff will present a lecture on what he refers to as the myths that have grown up around the early observances of Thanksgiving by the Pilgrims." Strauss said that "Then, next Sunday, the museum's program will conclude with a recreation of the first holiday observance by the Pilgrims at Plymouth, Mass., portrayed by the museum's staff and volunteers in full costume of the period." It doesn't seem possible to gather enough evidence from about 400 years ago, on a meal that people took part in. To me, I feel like they basically ate the evidence, there's not going to be a random piece of duck on the ground sitting there, waiting to be observed, so to me, I always question how relevant and true this information actually is.
         Strauss wrote about letters written by John Smith, and Edward Winslow in his article. The information has been tweaked a little bit to go from old to modern English, but the base pf what he is talking about is still there.  The letter, Mr. Shoumatoff said, provides the only eyewitness description of the event. Part of it reads ''Our harvest being gotten in, our Governor sent four men on fowling, that we might after a special manner, rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. The four, in one day, killed as much fowl, as with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest King Massasoit, with some 90 men whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our Governor (William Bradford) and upon the captain (John Smith) and others.''

         Our Thanksgiving these days is great, its always a lot of fun, and it brings the whole family together. But I think it would be cool just to see or be a part of the Pilgrims original meal. I wish we kept some of their traditions, like having it be more than one day, because in the end, it means one less day of school! 


20 comments:

  1. Sarah, I really enjoyed this post! Your title grabbed me immediately and I wanted to know more about it right from your introduction. I also really liked your pictures side by side, comparing thanksgiving now and then, it really gave me a sense that this post was going to give accurate information too. I really liked how you worded your conclusion, and I agree! I think it would be cool to have thanksgiving for an extra day! Anyways, I enjoyed your piece a lot and I think you did very well:)
    -Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this post was really good. I liked the title because it immediately reminded me of what we talked about in class so I decided to click it to see what you had to say. I agree with Siobhan that your pictures being side by side show us how different it is now than it was then. I loved your ending because having less school would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really enjoyable post to read. You intrigued me from the very first sentence that made me want to keep reading. I loved how you made a connection to Thanksgiving traditions and feast now and thanksgiving in the olden days. I noticed in the first paragraph, second line there was a subtle grammar mistake. You accidently typed "and" twice. Other than that mistake, I think you did an amazing job on this blog post. My favorite part was the ending, I thought you made it your writing by adding in having less school would be fun. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I really like your post! The title caught my eye especially because we had just been learning about it in class. Your font is a little funny and small, so I would fix that. I liked how you had pictures because it made a longer post easy to read. It also provides a visual example that helps prove your point more of the difference between then and now. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job. When we first started learning about the pilgrims I couldn't get over the fact that Thanksgiving has changed so much over the years. I find it strange how they didn't eat turkey on the first Thanksgiving. Where did the turkey come from? You had a lot of really good details in this and your title is very interesting. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job. First you grabbed me with your title, it made me think about family and my thanksgiving which made me want to read more. I also liked the pictures you had. You had a lot of good information and you made it very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your post is very well done. I liked how your title intrigued me to keep reading. The pictures you chose to put in your blog post were very well connected to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your post is very well done. I liked how your title intrigued me to keep reading. The pictures you chose to put in your blog post were very well connected to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the intro and how you showed examples of differences between the first Thanksgiving and now. I also like how you connected it to an event that's happening now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the intro and how you showed examples of differences between the first Thanksgiving and now. I also like how you connected it to an event that's happening now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You article was great, and I like how from the title you convey the large differences between our "Thanksgiving" and the original. Given that we eat different foods and celebrate the holiday for a different amount of time, I agree with you that we should be celebrating Thanksgiving more like it was originally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought you did a great job on this post and had great details and pictures. I also thought it related perfectly to what we just learned about the pilgrims and Thanksgiving. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on your post! I loved the descriptive intro, it made me really want to keep reading. The specific examples helped me understand what you were trying to say. You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah, I really love your post. You're so honest with how you truly feel about what the Author of the article had to say, which I like. I also liked how you made connections with what Thanksgiving means now, to back then. I wish I could have seen what it would have been like back then or at least keep up some of the traditions. You're pictures are great too because you're really showing then vs. now. Great job of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on your post! I loved the descriptive intro, it made me really want to keep reading. The specific examples helped me understand what you were trying to say. You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved how you compared the original thanksgiving to the modern day holiday! Your hook was great and really intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  18. The comparison is written quite well. Also, the topic is something that people can relate to very well. My only criticism is that the font can be a little hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked your post, it was interesting and informative. Thanksgiving has really changed a lot over the years, and you highlight the differences very well. My only advise would be to not have a background color on the text when it's on a non-white background.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog post was really interesting. I think it's odd that we changed so many of the original aspects of the first Thanksgiving. I wonder how over time the meal changed from duck to turkey?. I agree with you that we should celebrate Thanksgiving for more than just one day!

    ReplyDelete