Thursday, January 9, 2014

Written in Bones

In February of last year I visited Washington DC with my family. We visited a lot of museums but one that I really enjoyed was the Smithsonian Nation Museum of Natural History. The exhibit on the second floor was what really caught my eye. The exhibit was called “Written in Bone; Forensic Files of the 17th-Century Chesapeake”. 



This exhibit had to do with the bones found at the site that was once Jamestown.  The museum used forensic anthropologists to help investigate the bones. Forensic anthropologists are used to help in the examination of human skeletal remains for law enforcement agencies to determine the identity of unidentified bones.  What the forensic anthropologists found provides interesting information on people and events of America's past. They used the skeletons of the settlers to determine what the person stories were, what their lives were like, and even what was responsible for their death.



One of the skeletons was of a young boy. The forensic anthropologists used some records of Jamestown to find that during one of the many Native American attacks a boy died. The boy whose remains are now located at the Smithsonian. Stuck in his thigh is the arrowhead that killed him.





In history class we learned all about the early years of Jamestown from 1607 to 1610. We learned about the many Native American attacks that took place in Jamestown. One of these attacks killed the boy in the exhibit. The English wanted to settle in Jamestown because there were Native Americans that could possibly be converted to Christianity, possible riches, and maybe even a hidden trade route to China. The thought of being killed by a Native American arrow probably didn’t even cross their minds. This exhibit was most interesting because even though these people have been dead for hundreds of years the forensic anthropologists can still find their age, what they looked like, and even their stories. 

10 comments:

  1. Great blog Molly! I think this was a very interesting post because we can connect it to what have been doing very recently. In class we had looked at how some of the bones of early Jamestown settlers showed that they ate dead corpses to survive, but we didn’t look at any bones that showed Native attacks. I agree with you that it is really interesting and amazing that with today’s modern technology, forensic anthropologists can figure out a person’s age, appearance, and how they died from looking at their bones from hundreds of years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very interesting blog post to read! I thought you did a great job connecting the museum exhibit to what we learned in history. This was interesting because in class we didn't talk about how settlers died during Native American attacks, but we did talk about how many settlers died due to these attacks. I also thought it was very cool how today's technology can help forensic anthropologists find out the age of the victim was, and even what they looked like, as well as their stories. Great job Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moll, I really liked this post! It was very interesting because it fits right in with what we are learning in class now. I enjoy your pictures because they go very well with your story. Did you take them yourself? I agree that today's forensic sciences are very helpful. I think it's so cool that you can find out so much about what a person was like just from their bones. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked you title, it really asked me to read this article which was very interesting. You seem like you had a fun time at the Smithsonian Nation Museum of Natural History! I really liked your connection to the remains of the boy from Jamestown and our History lessons. The people of Jamestown were almost cruel in their treatment towards the Native Americans. It doesn't surprise me that some of the settlers were killed by the Indians. I think you picked a very interesting connection to talk about in this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is really interesting! You did a great job of relating a trip you took to what we are learning about in class. The pictures are great quality and go right along with the story. It was also interesting how you added the facts about the forensic scientists. It was also good how you pointed out how the settlers in Jamestown probably didn't think about being attacked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to read this because the blog title was really interesting and kept me wanting to know more! First of all, I think it is amazing how you remembered all that you saw almost a year go...impressive! I really like the connection you made, and you provided good opinions and a strong voice throughout the whole writing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I liked about this blog is that It was very interesting. The title fit it perfectly and the connections you made were phanominal. I liked how you told the story of the young boy. Another thing I noticed is that I also was in DC and saw this very exhibit. In all, great job molly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this post! I think it's great that you experienced such a connection between what we learned in class about Jamestown and what you visited in the museum.. so interesting! You were very clear when stating the connection, it was very factual, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I hope that I can visit that exhibit some day! The first thing that caught my eye was the title; it was a great way to start of the blog. Also, the connection you made was very smooth. The pictures added enough for me to visualize the boy who remains were buried. Everything about the blog post added perfectly to your connection. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete