Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Plymouth now and then

      A couple summers ago my family and I went to Plymouth to see where the Pilgrims settled and also see the Native American settlement. The Experience was amazing and I hope I can go back soon. It related to the pilgrims that we are learning in class now because this is where they settled and also shows what the settlement of the natives who helped them would have looked like. Now I will talk about the settlements and how each place looked.

      First, the Native American settlement was very interesting. None of the natives wore a lot of clothes and they were all outside. One lady was sitting outside of her house which was made out of sticks and tree bark and in front of her were a lot of animal skins of all types of animals. There was a man by a big fire and he was cooking some sort of large animal and all the bones were off to the side and the man said they would use them for later. Another man was standing by an log that was hollowed out. He was making a canoe by putting in coals and letting the coals hollow it out. Finally, if you walked down a bath there was a place where native women would show you how to make jewelry with beads. All the Native Americans were very nice and I was amazed by everything they did.

      Second, the pilgrim settlement by far was my favorite part. To get there you had to walk up a big hill and the first thing you saw were two huge bulls. You walked through a large  gate and then you saw the colony. The houses were built on both sides of one road that led up a hill to the fort. This must have been the easiest way to defend everyone because you saw everything from the fort and cannons were on all for sides. The houses were all one room and they had one or  two beds. They had a fireplace and and candles for lights Outside chickens were running around everywhere and it smelled like a farm. The colony was amazing and I'm happy I went.

      I hope I can go back to Plymouth this summer because after history this year I will understand it so much more. The pilgrims is important to me because my moms ancestors came from the mayflower so it's interesting to learn about my family's history. Plymouth is an amazing place with the amazing people keeping it history alive.

By-Kevin K

Pictography
-http://delphiniasalamin.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/historical-landmarkcrystal-river-florida/
-http://thebostondaybook.com/2011/11/plimoth-plantation/

2 comments:

  1. This is Charlie, just on my mom's account. Like how you compared it to then and now. Not just the Pilgrims, but the Indians as well. Also, the descriptions of then are well though tout compared to now. Good work....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a good job including both of the groups who lived in this ares, and didn't just focus on one as people usually do. Also, I liked your comparisons from then to now because you did a very good and descriptive job

    ReplyDelete