Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Twelve Years a Slave


I chose the movie Twelve Years a Slave to reference our slavery unit. Twelve Years a Slave tells the story of  Solomon Northup a free black man living as a violinist living with his wife and two children in 1841. Solomon travels out of town for what he thinks is a violin concert. Instead he is drugged, kidnapped and sold into slavery in the "deep south" going by the name of Platt. While enslaved Solomon struggles to keep his life while others will try anything to end their own.

        This story connects to our unit on slavery specifically to slavery in america. It displays the conditions that many slaves experienced as well as the measures slave traders would go to to enslave more and more people.
       I think that this movie is significant because it shows the troubles that Solomon experienced first hand working as a slave.  I also think that this source is significant because of the fact that it was released in the year 2013. This is significant because it helps raise awareness about slavery in our present day and age.


2 comments:

  1. Great Job! I saw the trailer for this movie and I now really want to go see it in theaters. Although this movie is very sad I agree with you on how the movie relates to our slavery unit. We learned about the many bad things that slaves had to do when they were in slavery. I am sure that the movie shows many of these horrible things. It is very sad to think about the many people that had/have to live their lives in slavery. I am glad that this movie shows people how bad slavery really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Erin! I'm glad that you summarized the movie in a lot of detail because, unfortunately, I haven't seen this movie. I think it's so horrible that things like that happened for so long, and as we learned this year, still in many places today. I really liked your blog!

    ReplyDelete