Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Midsummer's Nightmare

Everyone loves the show The Suite Life of Zack and Cody for it's comedy and anarchic mischief, but believe it or not, this show could actually teach you a lot about literature and theatrical performances in Renaissance time.  The Renaissance lasted from about late 1400s to about the early 1600s.  This time period was a period of rebirth in the people.  They took a huge interest in art, music, education, literature, and especially theatre.  One of England's favorite playwright was William Shakespeare, who lived from 1564-1616.

Now pay attention because it's going to get confusing.  To summarize the episode: Cody and Gwen like each other, Agnes likes Cody, and Zack likes a different girl.  When their school decides to perform A Midsummer Night's Dream the tension starts to build.  Zack is cast as Lysander, Gwen is cast as Hermia, Agnes is cast as Helena, Cody is cast as Bottom, and Zack's crush is Titania.  Zack knows that Cody likes Gwen so he tries to rub it in his face, but he soon finds out that Titania falls in love with Bottom in the play.  The girl playing Helena tries to break up Titania and Bottom because she has a crush on Cody.

This episode portrays the basic plot of A Midsummer Night's Dream by having all these relationships getting messed up by this theatrical performance.  It puts it in a way that little kids can understand and even though this episode came out in 2006 I can still remember what happened and apply it to English class.

Citations:
"A Midsummer Night's Dream." Cover.  Glogster. http://www.glogster.com/shaiksyasya/a-midsummer-night-s-dream/g-6mtifbkb9oej3uope60cva0

"A Midsummer's Nightmare." Photograph.  Fanpop. http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/gage-golightly/images/27647118/title/suite-life-zack-cody-midsummer-nightmare-photo

8 comments:

  1. interesting idea for a blog Gustavo. I like how it can connect to both history with the renaissance but also English. The idea was good but I thought some of the wording could have been changed a bit, especially the title, so it grabs the reader atention a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you tied this blog post into English class as well. I remember this episode perfectly!! I never even noticed the connection before though; probably because I hadn't read it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post! I really liked how clearly you could describe the episode even though it was pretty confusing on TV. I could connect to to this post as well because I am reading A Midsummer Night's Dream in English too. I loved the title, I thought it was really creative and grabbed the readers attention. It was also interesting how you could connect it to both English and History class. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this blog post because it connected to something I could relate to. I used to love the Suite Life of Zack and Cody, and I totally remembered this episode! It was cool to be able to picture the episode while reading your post. I also really liked your title. At first I was confused when you started talking about Zack and Cody, cause I didn't know how that could relate to A Midsummer Night's Dream AND history class. But then as you explained the connection to the Renaissance and how the had an episode about A Midsummer Night's Dream on the Suite Life, it all made sense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watching this episode when i was little, it brings back nostalgic memories. Not only were you able to connect to History with the Renaissance but also with the fact that you were able to connect to English too is impressive. Your title was also very creative as well. (ू•ᴗ•ू❁)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading this post because it was easy for me to relate to. I was able to make a connection from remembering the episode on television and related it to class. I liked how you put in pictures to make the readers more interested and understand what you are trying to say. I never saw the connection between the show and class until you started to explain it. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah this brings back some good memories of watching that show. I remember that episode being my favorite one and I enjoy seeing it being connected to a whole era we've learned about in history and a little bit in English. I find it funny that your explanation of the episode kind of captures the confusion of the different lovers' situations throughout the play. Great job with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg why are people actually reading this i feel judged what is going on

    ReplyDelete