Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Oliver Cromwell and the Copithornes

It is truly fascinating to me that one can go their whole life without ever discovering any of the major details of their past. I find it intriguing that even after living most of your life that you still may not know everything about yourself and your family history.  Up until last year, I knew nothing about my ancestry, nor did I care to be quite honest; but then my sister did her genealogy project. My sister was assigned a project for her 11th grade honors history class. This project was to research your family history as far back as possible, and she ended up finding some fascinating information that perfectly coincides with what we have been learning in honors history 9.
            Recently we learned about the English Civil War; which occurred in August of 1642 and lasted about 7 years. The war was caused by King Charles I’s negligence towards including Parliament in any political decisions. There were two sides; The Roundheads, who supported Parliament, and The Cavaliers, who supported King Charles. The leader of the Roundheads was a Puritan man by the name of Oliver Cromwell. When the war was over, the Roundheads were the victors. King Charles I was put on trial and found guilty and sentenced to death. On January 30th, 1649, King Charles I was executed.
            After Charles’s execution, England was to be ruled by Parliament, but in 1653 Cromwell was named Lord Protector of England. Under his rule, England became a military dictatorship. So long story short, Oliver Cromwell ended up dying of natural causes and was buried in Westminster Abbey. However, 3 years after his death, Cromwell’s body was dug up from his resting place and beheaded. His severed head was put on display for all of England to see.
Photo of Oliver Cromwell

            So while my sister was researching my mother’s side of the family, we discovered we have a connection to the horrible beheading of Oliver Cromwell. My mother’s father’s family, The Copithorne’s, are originally from England. After much research, it was discovered that a Copithorne was believed to be the soldier in charge of Oliver Cromwell’s beheading.

            It’s truly fascinating to me that I probably would have gone my whole life without knowing that my great great great great (etc. etc.) grandfather was responsible for such a famous historical event! Of course it not a very pleasant event or one to be proud of, but it’s certainly an interesting one. It’s apart of English history and will be taught for many years so to have that personal connection to it is really cool to me.

Picture courtesy of:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/oliver-cromwell-15991658-62668

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool, Julia! It's so surprising to me, hearing that one of your ancestors was involved in the beheading of Cromwell. It's weird to think about, our ancestors doing such crazy things! Though it's not necessarily something to brag about, given the circumstances of your ancestor's actions, it's still quite cool, and rather hard to wrap your head around, especially for people like me who know how sweet your family is and all! This was such an interesting post, and so well written; great job! :)

    ReplyDelete