Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Dunder-Mifflin's 'Absolute Manager'

In a well-known TV show called The Office, they show an inside view on the lives of regular, everyday office workers with a not-so-regular manager. They are a little branch of a paper company called “Dunder-Mifflin”, and the boss, Michael Scott, often shows his odd approach to management. This office seems as though it could not function with him running it, yet they still are able to accomplish a lot. Michael has his strengths and weaknesses when it comes to managing, but with his regular foolishness around the office, it’s hard to see how he came to be the manager in the first place.
In a way, Michael’s leadership can be connected to Charles I’s rule over England. Of course, it isn't so unclear how Charles came to power. He was a part of the Stuart family, the son of James I, and ascended to the throne upon the death of his father. Charles believed he was an absolute monarch and that he had the divine right to lead. He raised taxes and fees mainly just to pay for his reckless spending. Much of this he did without consulting Parliament at all. These actions must have been seen as foolhardy and very irresponsible by the citizens of England. Michael Scott could also be described this way at times by his coworkers. At one point he even found himself deeply in debt due to completely unnecessary purchases. Although, it’s hard to compare an expensive magic kit to funding for war, but both of these things are clearly not the best uses of money.
King Charles I of England 

The clearest connection between Michael Scott and Charles I was that they both ignored important groups that they were supposed to lead with. As said before, Charles often raised taxes and fees without meeting with or even acknowledging Parliament. For a period of eleven years, he completely ignored Parliament when he should have been working together with them to lead England. In The Office, the same kind of behavior was shown by Michael when their company was bought out by another company called “Sabre”. In Michael’s Scranton, PA branch, they had a Sabre representative named Gabe who was supposed to help Michael run the office. It was obvious that Michael did not want to work with Gabe at all and he often disregarded his authority. He tried to run the office like an “absolute monarch”, managing by himself. Just like Parliament, Gabe had points throughout the series of the show where he tried to show Michael that he had just as much power as him in their office.
Even with their similarities, the endings to their reigns were quite different. While Charles was publicly beheaded, Michael left with a song to pursue his love in Colorado.

Pictography:


14 comments:

  1. Cassie,
    I thought this blog post was so interesting and creative! I would have never thought to compare The Office to history class but this works so well! I love this show so I really understand the connections you made and agree with them. I really liked how you made it easy to understand even if someone had never seen the show. Your blog post was written in a way where it wasn't boring at any time and I really liked that. The language you used made the blog post very enjoyable. Outstanding and wonderfully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! I am a huge fan of The Office. I thought that your summary of the TV show was very accurate and informative to people who had never watched this awesome show. Your connection between Michael Scott and Charles I was excellent and I completely see how these two men relate to each other after reading your article. I wish I had thought of this when I had done my blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous job, I personally do not watch The Office, but I know many other people who do. So you did a great job with connecting history with something many people will know. Even though I don't watch the show I can clearly see your connections between Michael Scott and Charles I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very entertaining blog post to read! I was compelled to read on right when I saw the title. I knew exactly what you were talking about and your writing was very easy to read. I liked how you showed in different ways that Charles and Michael were similar. Michael's magic kit and Charles' wars may not be the same, but it definitely showed how they were similar. I found this post both funny and informative at the same time. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that your connection has amazing and made me think about "The Office" in a whole new way. I think that you could have shortened your paragraphs just so that you don't lose the readers attention. I thought that you used perfect facts and evidence to support and back-up your connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog was literally short and sweet. I liked the size of it, I didn't find my eyes wondering all over the place. I stopped watching the office a couple weeks ago, but I've seen some episodes now and then nice then. I knew exactly what you were talking about in your title, and in your blog. You did a nice job of making the information you gave fun to read as well. That way, it wasn't just reading facts, but it wasn't just cracking jokes either, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie, even though I have never watched the office I really enjoyed reading your blog post, and thought it was well written. I thought that the connection between Michael's magic kit and Charles I war expenses was a very clever connection. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job Cassie! This was a really good comparison. Charles I and Michael Scott do seem very similar. This was a nice idea and, I can see how these two people relate even though I have never seen the office. It was a perfect example of history relating to modern times! Also, this was very well-written. I can tell you're a very strong writer, and you did a great job of keeping the reader interested. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I sometimes watch the office, but I had never looked at it this way. I thought your post was broken up nicely with pictures, making it easy to read and understand. You made a very clear connection, about how they both ignore others trying to help and how neither of them should have come into power.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought your Blog was awesome! I stopped to read your Blog post because I have heard of the Office being a very funny show. I thought about how it could connect and I couldn't think of a way. After reading your post I can see the connection clearly and enjoyed reading about it. Great job on your Blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative! I'm a big fan of the office and still I never would have made this connection. And I'm sure you know the Office was originally a British TV show and then this version was made for American audiences, so it would be interesting how the characters of the British show compare to the British monarchs. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job Cassie. I have not seen many episodes of The Office but I know the show has lots of fans who are intrigued by this connection. Since it is such a popular show you have drawn in a lot of readers but I also liked that you made clear connections and explained them so even someone like me who doesn't know the show can understand your post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cassie, this post was fantastic! I'm a huge fan of the office, and I can't believe I didn't think to compare Micheal to Charles I. His complete disregard for people like Gabe and Toby is spot on for the same type of disregard Charles shows parliament. When I first read your title, I was automatically confused, I would never think to compare Micheal to an Absolute Monarch, but when you really think about it, he really is! Thank you so much for sharing such an intriguing and intuitive connection, that I would have never thought to make!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't watched the office, but the term "Absolute Manager" made me smile. THere are lots of bosses these days that act the same way as King Louis XIV and other historic leaders did, and most of them acquired their positions of power in the same way- family connections.Your post was nice and not too long, and your pictures were well placed.

    ReplyDelete