Monday, March 17, 2014

The Hunger Games and the Zenger Decision



The Hunger Games. A national spectacle lead by the capitol to choose two people from each district, one boy and one girl, and send them in an arena with all the other districts to fight to the death. Pretty gruesome right. This was all because the Capitol. A long time before the first Hunger Games there was a war between the capitol and the districts. The capitol is like the government and we all know if you ever get on the governments bad side then there will be consequences.

So as I was saying there was a war and the capitol one. No shocker there. So as a reminder to never go against the capitol again they started the Hunger games to remind of the pain and suffering that the districts went through.

In the movie The Hunger Games two of the main characters, Katnisss and Peeta, make it to the end of the games. There was only one possible way for the Hunger games to end. And that would be for one of them to die. Instead of that Katniss decides the Capitol does not own her and she decided that Peeta and her would die together so there would be no winner. Luckily they were stopped in time and both came out of the Hunger games as victors.

As a result of that the Capitol forced Katniss and Peeta back into the Hunger games in an effort to kill both of them. Spoiler alert: they both live in the second games and yet again defy the government.

As you can see defying the government is a bad thing and can have bad consequences. The defiance in the Hunger Games reminds me of the New York newspaper owner Peter Zenger. At this time the colonies and the government are very mad at each other. Remind you of anyone. Because of that the pro-colony people want to publish a newspaper against the government and its views.

Zenger has a big decision. He can either not do anything or defy the government going against the law that states you cannot publish anything that makes the government seem bad. He does publish the article and says that there was no false data in the article and they are all true accusations against the government. He is soon found not guilty.

This proves sometimes you need to defy those people who are going against you. Some people just try keep you from telling the truth and personally I think that is extremely unfair. No one should be allowed to muffle the voice of truth.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                      


15 comments:

  1. Nice Job Matt. I enjoyed reading your post and found it interesting how you managed to tie this subject back into what we are learning. I liked how you gave us background information on what the hunger games are and how they came to be, I also liked how you told us why going against the governor is bad. There was a few spelling mistakes throughout but other than that this was a very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I had a pleasure reading through this blog post because you connected something we are learning about in class to a very interesting and popular T.V/book series. You used great detail especially when talking about the Hunger Games. As Ian said there were a few spelling errors, but other than that great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Matt, i really enjoyed reading you blog and how you made a connection between something we learned about in class and a popular book and movie. I like how detailed and methodical this blog was. Overall, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your blog comment. I was immediately drawn to your post because I saw it was written about the Hunger Games. I have already seen the first two movies and can’t wait to see the third. I found your connection very interesting. The short sentences helped me get through the blog post because they moved the post along. The connection between the government controlling everyone is very accurate. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to read your blog as soon as I read the title ,as I am a huge Hunger Games fan. I would have never thought of connecting the Hunger Games, a post apocalyptic story, to the Zenger case from 1735. One thing that I noticed is that you tended to repeat quite a bit, and there were also a few awkwardly short sentences. Other than that I found your blog post interesting and memorable, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt, I think you did a very good job on introducing the topic in a way that would want everyone to read more. The Zenger case was very interesting to me so I thought it would have been cool to see how you displayed it and connected it to the Hunger Games. You did a good job with that. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like The Hunger Games series which made me immediately clicked on your post. By your title, I could see that you were comparing this gruesome story of two young teenagers defying the capitol to when Peter Zenger defied the governor and government by printing the anti-governor articles in his newspaper and to the government, committing a seditious libel. The connection you made between these two topics is very meaningful. The two pictures that you included in your post were perfect for what you were discussing, making your post more interesting. Although the introduction about The Hunger Games that you included is helpful for people who have not read the series, I felt that it was a little too long. I think next time you should have included more facts about the historical topic you are discussing. Overall great job and fantastic conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on this blog post. I really like how you managed to tie a very popular series to what we are learning in class, and how you kept me interested throughout the post. Overall, good job keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. Your title caught my eye right away because I like the
    Hunger Games. I never would've thought of comparing it to the Zenger case, but now that you have, it makes perfect sense. I liked how you included a summary of the Hunger Games for those who haven't read it, but I think it could've been a bit less lengthy. I think your time would've been better spent describing the Zenger case. Other than that, your blog was interesting and clearly well thought out. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog post Matt! When I first saw that this post was about the Hunger Games I just had to read it because I love these movies. I can't wait for the third to come out! This was a great connection I could clearly see that these two topics were related and almost the same in a way. You did a great explaining the two so that people could see their relations. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Job. I enjoyed reading this and you kept me interested and good connection with zenger and hunger games. Few spelling errors but good job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like the majority of people I have seen this movie before and thought it was a pretty cool movie. I like how you related two things that seem very different in a logical way. I also liked how you included multiple pictures rather than just one. This topic is something we learned very recently and I liked how you related it to such a well known series. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked how you gave us some background information as to what the Hunger Games is. I noticed that there were some grammatical errors. Next time, just review your post a few times and reread it so that there are no errors and that it is flawless. I also liked how you chose a subject that almost everyone can connect to and you used facts to back up your theory. Overall nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked this post and found it very easy to read and follow. I have seen the movie before, but have never seen this point of view. I like how you introduced the movie, then went into detail about the Zenger case. You have good facts on the case while tying it together with the connection to the "Hunger Games." I thought you did a very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a very good job! You made it very easy to understand how they relate and I enjoyed how you gave us information on the hunger games itself. Good job with the pictures too! Overall, I really enjoyed this blog post.

    ReplyDelete