Monday, March 24, 2014

Ye Good Ole Times





We are learning about colonial times right now and about early America. The first thing that popped into my mind when we first started this topic was the episode of "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" called "Boston Tea Party". In this episode, Zack has a dream where goes back to colonial times with everyone else in the show. There are some facts that are scattered throughout the episode that make the show both educational and funny.


Back during the Revolutionary times, there were two different groups of people; the Patriots and the Loyalists. The Patriots were the ones who were against the king and started the revolt. The Loyalists were the people of the colonies that were in favor of the king and on the kings side. The Patriots were often the middle or working class and were less wealthy than the Loyalists, who were often rich and high in ranks.

In this specific episode, the daughter of the man who owns the hotel is a Loyalist, and during the regular episodes, she is filthy rich. Also, all of the people who work and aren't as wealthy are Patriots except for the manager of the hotel, who is a Loyalist just because he is scared of the owner. During this time, the Patriots formed together because they were sick and tired of the king's taxes on tee and they anted to do something about it.


The following is a part of the episode:

Mr. Moseby: Maddie, now get back to work, we need to raise the price on the sweet milks.
Maddie: But you just raised them ten minutes ago.
Mr. Moseby: Well the president has raised the taxes on everything again including sugar and tea.
London: (pass across a couple)Making way passes! Don't you love my new hair? I just got it cut. I hear the short look is in.
Maddie: Mr. Moseby I tell you, no one can buy that overpriced tea.
London: Except me.

This shows that the king would always increase taxes and that is why people revolted. Also, it shows that the Loyalists were very wealthy and could afford the over-priced taxes and that is why they were on the side of the king.


Anther part of this that relates to history class is when Carey says "Boys, it's time to get upstairs and study for your American History test." and then Zack responds "Mother, there is no history. Yesterday we got off the boat, and today we bathed in the creek." This doesn't have any facts or anything but it was just a funny joke about history class.

Sources:

"tv.com." http://www.tv.com/shows/the-suite-life-of-zack-cody/boston-tea-party-675635/

"The Suite Life of Zack and Cody Logo." http://www.tothegame.com/ds-5465-suite-life-of-zack-and-cody-tipton-trouble-for-nintendo-ds.html

"The Boston Tea Party Episode." http://suitelife.wikia.com/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party

"King George III." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_III_of_the_United_Kingdom

4 comments:

  1. I thought this was a very creative post. I liked how you connected "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody" to the Revolutionary times. It was perfect how you made a connection to this specific episode because of the content they both have. You had many details and facts in your writing while at the same time making a connection that was interesting and fun. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I used to love the show "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody" so it was definitely interesting to see how you connected it to history class. Good job including a lot of pictures and pictures from the actual episodes. Also, I loved that you included a quote from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your blog post, Pat! The first thing to catch my attention was the title. When I saw it was about The Suite Life of Zack and Cody I just had to read it. I really liked how you kept your post informational yet you included a funny line at the end. I also liked how you provided us with specific lines from that episode so we could understand what was going on. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this! I like how you pickec a topic that most of your readers can relate to. I remember this episode exactly, and I can appriciate it more now that I know what it's really about. Good job Pat!

    ReplyDelete