Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ugly French Rules

In the book Uglies by Scott Westerfield they live in a beautiful society. The people are given procedures to make them all gorgeous and rich. But before you get this surgery you live on the other side of a fence just waiting to be made perfect. What they eventually find out is during the procedure the government changes their brain to make them too stupid to fight back against the lifestyle they live.
Uglies (Uglies Series #1)

This is like when Cardinal Richelieu ,the chief advisor to Louis XIII, who took away the cities and forts of Huguenots and Nobles. Richelieu took all of their power away so they couldn't rule and they weren't a threat to his rule. Then he gave them high posts on courts or in royal armies so they were still tied to him.

While it isn't quite the same they are both examples of the government taking away things to prevent people from revolting against their rule. They both give the people something to tie them to them. In the book they make them pretty and give them this glamorous lifestyle of nonstop partying. The Huguenots and nobles are given high positions so they feel like they really have power. While this book is fiction its point of the government tricking its citizens.

"Uglies",Scott Westerfield, barnesandnoble.com


3 comments:

  1. This is a great connection! I read this book a while ago and I completely agree with your ideas. Your post is very well-written and easy to understand and follow. Even if I did not read the book, I think understanding your connection would be easy! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristen, I never thought of Uglies like that... I really liked your summary. I read the book and had a hard time understanding the overall plot of it, but I felt that you did a good job summing it up! I would challenge you connect more plot points in the book (and maybe the others?) to the French government. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds really interesting I should read it soon. I like the connection you made if i had read the book I'd never be able to make such an connection. Your post was clear and easy to read and follow along and i enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete