Wednesday, December 4, 2013

From The Hunger Games to Slavery

    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a fantastic book and has been recently turned into a movie. This was one of the best books I have ever read by far. In The Hunger Games there are 12 districts with their own citizens and then the wealthy people of the Capitol. Each year the Capitol randomly selects a girl and one boy from each district, ages 12-18, to fight to the death for entertainment for the people in the Capitol an also to show how much power the Capitol has. The 24 children are forced to leave their families and are thrown into an arena to fight and kill other kids as they try to end up being the sole survivor. This book and movie tell the story of Katniss Everdeen and her experiences throughout her time in the games.

         As I was thinking about this story, I realized that in a way it connects to what I am currently learning in history class. Who knew The Hunger Games and content in my history class would be related? We are studying and researching the topic of modern day slavery and human trafficking.

        This can relate to The Hunger Games because the children in this book like Katniss are being taken away from their families and being forced into a situation that they want no part in, but have no control over, which is being forced to fight in the games. Modern day slaves are also being taken from their families at young ages without control and being forced into hard labor and other things like prostitution.The kids have no way to get out of it like many slaves have no way of getting out of their situation because they are being threatened or they are scared etc. And just like slaves, they are involved in violent and harsh acts for someone elses profit who in the case of The Hunger Games would be the Capitol except it was for their entertainment. I think both the idea of The Hunger Games and slavery itself is completely wrong and should not exist. (Even though the Hunger Games doesn't actually exist, the idea should never really happen in real life.)


       Again, I absolutely loved The Hunger Games book and I think anyone else no matter what age or gender will too. This book really kept me thinking the whole time and it makes you figure out or piece together the history of the world in this book before the districts were made. It's a great book that I think is definatly worth reading. If you're not into reading so much, the movie is also amazing. It really puts you in their world which I think helps when your trying to learn history in class too because you can picture yourself living in the time period your studying.

5 comments:

  1. Julia,
    Going back and thinking about the Hunger Games, now that I know more about slavery yes the Hunger Games is considered Human Trafficking. You made a really good connection that I would have never thoght of and your blog post was put together with great detail. I would have liked to see a picture of maybe all of the kids at the arena waiting for the timer to sound as your picture. It would have really shown the pain and emotion that is played out in these games. But over all I enjoyed reading your blog post and you did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought about comparing the Hunger Games to slavery, but you made a good point saying that they are actually very similar. You did a really good job explaining all of the ways that they are alike. I think using the idea of the Hunger Games could help some people understand what slavery and human trafficking actually is. Overall really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with this post! I have both read the books and seen the movies and loved them but I never connected them to slavery before, but as soon as you explained it in this blog it became clear. You did great job comparing the two and relating them! With this connection it makes it it a bit easier to understand what slavery is like and fully understand it based on a great movie that everybody loves, Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really creative connection and your blog post is very well-written. I never would have thought of relating The Hunger Games to slavery, but you did a great job explaining why it is in fact slavery. I also like how this unexpected example of slavery reinforces that modern day slavery usually goes unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia,
    I thought this post was very creative! I would have never had made that connection and it's so fitting. When I first started reading, I was unsure about how The Hunger Games relates to history class, but by the end you had me convinced. I thought this was a really good connection because it's really great timing that the second movie just came out and we are learning about modern day slavery! I really liked when you said "And just like slaves, they are involved in violent and harsh acts for someone elses profit who in the case of The Hunger Games would be the Capitol except it was for their entertainment." I really loved this post and i thought you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete