Monday, December 2, 2013

Issues Rediscovered, While Hope Runs High



Catholicism versus Protestantism; the differences between these two religions may seem very small, but are very significant. 
In my own life recently, I have struggled to decide which religion is right for me.  My mother has recently converted to Protestantism, but my dad is a very strictly-practicing Catholic.  My parents are divorced, so I go to church with both of them, and experience the two different forms of Christianity all the time.  I grew up in a fully Catholic home my whole life, and I went to church every Sunday, as I still do today.  My religion has played a very important, substantial role in my life.  God has helped me to be able to overcome many hardships, but I am trying to figure out which form of Christianity is more suitable for me.  As my Confirmation approaches, a sacrament when you become an adult in the eyes of the Church, I want to completely and proudly stand behind my decision.  I want to be able to make an educated choice, rather than simply inheriting a religion: I want my religion to mean something to me, because I’m going to be practicing it for my whole life.
There are many differences which separate Protestantism and Catholicism, but the basis of the two faiths is very similar- Christianity.  Protestants don’t believe that the Eucharist is really made of the actual body and blood of Jesus, because they do not think the priest has the power to be able to do transubstantiation, changing the Eucharist into the body and blood of Jesus.  They also do not use statues or artwork in their churches, and do not pray to saints.  Protestants also believe that you confess directly to God to be forgiven for your sins, and you don’t need a priest to be a “go-between.” 
There are many problems facing the Roman Catholic Church today, which have led to practicing Catholics converting to Protestantism, or becoming skeptical of the Catholic Church.  Today many people take issue with the church’s view of social issues, such as same-sex marriage, contraception, abortion, and women’s role in the church.  The Roman Catholic Church has been against these issues for many years, but as the world is modernizing, and some peoples’ perspectives don’t align with the Church’s any more.  The church may need to evolve their views as well.  The Protestant faith is struggling similarly with these social issues.  But, they haven’t faced as many of the structural issues the Catholic Church has faced.
The issues facing the Church during the Protestant Reformation had to do with the structure of the Church and abuse of power.  For example, these problems were popes selling indulgences, popes using church money on their own items, and taking part in long wars.  Indulgences were having people pay to be forgiven from their earthly sins, and be accepted into heaven.  I visited the Vatican in Rome last summer, and I was able to see first hand some of the things the Popes bought using money from indulgences.  Some of the most famous paintings are located in the Vatican, such as Michelangelo’s painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.  The grandeur inside the Vatican is breathtaking, but it also shows just how much money the Popes spent on material things, rather than making the structure of their churches stronger.  Popes also spent a lot of church money on their own personal lavish belongings, and in wars that they partook in.  These problems made a lot of Catholics question the values of Catholicism and the Catholic Church, and sparked the fire that started the new religious branch of Christianity, Protestantism.  Today, one of the most current examples of the abuse of power and structure of the Church that has translated from the time of the Protestant Reformation to present times is the child abuse scandal that broke in Boston.  The higher members of the Church did everything they could to try and cover up the abuse, and the Catholic structure of the church allowed them to do that.
Although the Church has faced many controversies lately, Pope Francis has been a hope for many Catholics, and has refocused on the values that really matter.  For example, he fired a priest who was spending money lavishly on his home.  The majority of Catholics, as well as others who are not Catholic, believe that Pope Francis is doing a lovely, eloquent job.  One small example that speaks volumes is his change in the tradition of becoming a pope.  Usually, a newly inducted pope has their feet washed by other men, but Pope Francis washed other peoples’ feet; and not just any people, people currently in prison.  According to the Boston Globe, Pope Francis has also been able to, “emphasize his turning away from culture war issues like gay marriage, contraception, and abortion.” He said that not all moral teachings are equivalent, and called for “a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards.”

Ironically, as I was finishing writing this paper, CNN announced that the Pope released a 85 page mission statement.  It’s called the Joy of the Gospel, and it shifts the church from rules to welcoming all believers.  The values that the Pope is starting to refocus on and is bringing back, form the base of Catholicism.  These values are things I really believe in, and I believe that his work brings hope to the Catholic Church. 

Boston Globe article Pope issues mission statement for papacy by Nicole Winfield November 26, 2013
Boston Globe article Pope washes feet of young detainees in ritual by Nicole Winfield March 29, 2013
Picture Citation URL: http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2013/03/28/pope-washes-feet-young-detainees-ritual/Xt4FLqgCTQCHnvXAIdLukM/story.html


1 comment:

  1. I really like how you tied something we learned about into your own personal life. It's clear that you put a lot of thought into this post. You also did a great job explaining the connection between your life and what we have learned. Great job!

    ReplyDelete