Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Our Meals Today

     
     I stood by my mother as I watched her mix a bowl of korma, a type of curry.  Aside the curry sat a pile of naan and chapatis.  A delicious aroma filled the house as my dad walked in through the front door, ready for dinner.  Once the table was set, we all sat down to eat the naan and chapatis with korma.  As I dipped my food into the delicious dish, I couldn’t help but ask my mom what made up this traditional Indian meal.  
Korma
“Ummm….Yogurt, Ginger, Garlic, Onion, Tomato, Pepper, Chick Peas, Potato…..”  I was surprised to find that some of the ingredients used in the making of the Korma (Tomato, Pepper, and Potatoes) were ingredients from the new world. 

     The picture to the right is a picture of the side dish, korma, similar to the dish my mom makes sometimes.  All though this dish originated in India, some of the contents in it that give the korma its taste originated in the Americas like, pepper, white beans, potatoes, and tomatoes.  I was also surprised to find that my fridge and cupboard had food like squash, corn, and sweet potatoes; items my mom uses for cooking her meals.  These were items brought over to India through the Columbian Exchange. 

     After Columbus’s discovery of the Americas, the oceans were used quite often, especially in the Columbian Exchange.  People from the new world and old world began to trade and exchange diseases, ideas, food, crops, populations (people and animals) and cultures.  The Columbian Exchange expanded the global supply of agricultural goods and many countries in the Old World benefited from it.  New food was introduced to countries around the world and America soon became the main suppliers of many crops globally. 

     I never really took a moment to ask myself where these food/crops may have come from.  I was fascinated how the food and crops my mom, grandparents and relatives use to cook actually came from the New World.  The Columbian Exchange has definitely changed the way my family and others in the world eat and cook their meals today.  

Sources: 
Jay. "How to Make Spicy Egg Korma / Step by Step." Tasty Appetite. August 27 2012.
http://www.tastyappetite.net/2012/08/how-to-make-spicy-egg-korma-step-by-

step.html#.Up_DmsRDua9.  (December 4, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment