Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Montezuma's Castle

Montezuma’s Castle is a national monument in Cape Verde, Arizona. It was declared a national monument on December 8, 1906 by President Theodore Rosevelt.  It is considered the best preserved cliff dwelling in North America. The castle was created and occupied from 1200 to 1450 AD. It was abandoned between 1400 and 1450 during the collapse of all major civilizations in the southwest. Tourists were allowed to enter the ruins by a ladder up until 1951. Today, access is only granted for official reasons.  I took a trip here to visit some family in the December of 2008.
Montezuma was the king of the Aztec empire during the Age of Exploration. He kept his empire in line until Hernan Cortes conquered the empire by fooling them into believing he was a god. Montezuma was considered a skilled ruler by his subjects. The castle in Arizona was  given his name because early white settlers made the mistaken assumption that it was associated with him. The ruins had, in fact, been abandoned 100 years before Montezuma was born. They were associated with the Aztec people, therefore named after the most famous figure in their culture.
Bibliography:
“Montezuma’s Castle: History and Culture”, National Park Society,http://www.nps.gov/moca/historyculture/index.htm Accessed 11/30/13
“Arizona Ruins: Montezuma’s Castle”, Arizona Ruins, http://www.arizonaruins.com/montezuma_castle/montezuma_castle.html   Accessed 12/2/13
“Montezuma’s Castle: Most Preserved Ancient Cliff Dwellings in America”, Arizona Leisure, http://www.arizona-leisure.com/montezuma-castle.html Accessed 12/2/13
A. O. Kime, “The Aztecs and Montezuma’s Castle: The Magnificance, Majesty, and Mystery of Montezuma Castle”, Matrix of Mnemosyne, October 2005,  http://www.matrixbookstore.biz/montezuma.htm Accessed 12/2/13
Photo taken by Kevin McKenna in December 2008

3 comments:

  1. When I read the title "Montezuma's Castle" I assumed that the structure you visited was really where Montezuma lived. I was surprised when you later said that this was not true, especially because I found the structure so impressive. The Aztecs' skill in architecture is well displayed here, and further proves the point that we learned in class-the Aztecs were not uncivilized people. It would have been really cool if you were still allowed to go inside the castle- but at least you got to see it! Great post and great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Katie! Right when I read your title I wanted to read more. I was surprised that the castle was given its name because early settlers mistaken the assumption that it was associated with Montezuma. I never knew a lot about Montezuma and his castle before I read this. I thought it was so cool how you actually visited it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the title, it reminded me about the unit when we were studying this and I remember that I liked this topic a lot. I'm glad I was able to read this because it gave the truth behind Montezuma and I think that you did a very good job with the facts and how to keep us interested. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete