Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Travel to the Tower of London

When I went to London a year and a half ago, I had no idea what the Tower of London was. In fact, when my mom said that was next on our list of sights to see, I thought it would be boring. It wasn't! But it wasn't until this year in our history class that I learned really how famous the Tower of London was in the history of England's monarchy, especially in the Tudor Family. 
 
Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII, was beheaded at the Tower after not bearing a son as an heir to Henry's throne. She was executed in the northern part of the White Tower, which you can see below.


The method of Anne's death is held in the same tower. When my family and I visited the White Tower, we saw an antique replica of the device used to chop off the heads of two of Henry VIII's wives, Anne and Catherine Howard. It wasn't very complex, but terrifying nonetheless.


We were also able to see and walk on the London Bridge. We learned in class that this is where the executed heads would hang from, a reminder to all of London just how much power the king has.


The rocky relationship between Elizabeth I (daughter of Anne Boleyn) and her older stepsister Mary I, led to Elizabeth being imprisoned in the Tower of London by Mary when she was queen. Our tour guide told us that Elizabeth passed through the very gate in the picture below on entering the Tower, but angrily proclaimed that she had no reason to pass through a gate named "Traitor's Gate." 


The connections between the English monarchy and the Tower of London go on for centuries after Elizabeth, but it was really neat to make a link between a family vacation and our history class.

(no pictography, all pictures are personal)

7 comments:

  1. I thought this was a fantastic post. You had great pictures that followed up perfectly with your writing. You had many details which kept me interested in what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post is fantastic. I went to London a few years ago and absolutely loved it there. I didn't go to the Tower of London but you made me wish I did. The pictures went great with what you were saying. You kept me interested the whole time by making it personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tower of London sounds like an amazing place to visit. Te pictures you had are great and really caught my attention. The details and facts you had were fantastic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I've also been to the tower of London, but when I had visited I had never known the gruesome history behind it. You're pictures flow very well with your mini paragraphs, which really kept me engaged.

    ReplyDelete

  5. looks so delicious & making me hungry...This post reminded me that I haven't cook Kothu roti for some days,want to try this week again...
    Great Recipe..
    I am following you now...
    coupon dunia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I�ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers! this website

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are actually a lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That could be a nice level to deliver up. I supply the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions just like the one you bring up the place a very powerful factor will likely be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round issues like that, however I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each girls and boys really feel the impact of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives. company website

    ReplyDelete