Monday, February 24, 2014

Dancing Around Others

Hairspray is a classic movie made in 1988 and remade in 2007.The movie takes place in the 1960s when people were fighting against segregation. Hairspray is based around a television show that stars dancing teenagers and throughout the movie they show them fighting to be an integrated show. Many people in this production have different opinions; even though they are suppose to work together no one is collaborating.


The producer of the show Velma is not listening to the opinions of her colleges, Corny Collins, the host and the rest of the dancing cast. Velma is set against integration; she wants to have no Negros in her show. While Corny Collins and the rest of the dances believe that there should be integration because the Negros dance just as well as they do, sometimes even better.
Velma

Corny and the Dancers

As I was watching this great movie on TV one night I realized that it was very similar to the topics we were learning in History class. Charles I and the Parliament had some similar problem as the characters in the movie, Hairspray.             
The Parliament and Charles I

Charles I and Velma are the same. They believe that they don’t need the help of others even though they are there to help and make decisions with them. Charles I is supposed to collaborate with Parliament but fails to do so for over 11 years by cancelling every meeting with them. The only time he listens to them is when he is in need of money. Similar to that Velma fails to listen to her host of the show, Corny and all the dancers.

The endings to both are very similar as well. In the end the Parliament overthrows Charles I in war, while Corny and the dancers take out Velma. These two very different topics were very similar and the second I watched Hairspray I just thought of this. The information learned in History connects to modern things all around us, even in a hit movie like Hairspray!

Pictography
“Hairspray.” Photograph. Richard Crouse. http://www.richardcrouse.ca/hairspray-4-stars/. Accessed February, 23, 2014.

“Velma.” Photograph. Grupo 4. http://9g4grupodeestudos2011.blogspot.com/2011/05/filme-hairspray.html. Accessed February 23, 2014 

“Corny and dancers.” Photograph. Rotten Tomatoes. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hairspray/news/1654510/hairspray__making_musicals_hot_again. Accessed February, 23, 2014. 

“Parliament.” Drawing. Open. http://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/history/world-history/taking-sides-parliament-and-the-king. Accessed February, 23, 2014.  


4 comments:

  1. This was very interesting and funny to read. I love Hairspray but I never thought of the connections it had to history class. Connecting Velma to Charles I is great! They're both control freaks who only care about themselves. This just goes to show how history is repeating everywhere we can see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your Blog Post! The first thing that drew me in was the first colorful picture of Hairspray. I love the movie Hairspray and didn't think that it could connect to past History. Your connection of Velma and Charles I was awesome. This helped me realize that Charles I and Velma are very controlling people. It also makes me like Velma even less! Over all the blog post was entertaining and I enjoyed reading about your connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you connected a great movie to the topic we are learning right now! I have seen Hairspray many times and I have never made the connection to Charles I and Parliament before. I really liked the pictures and that they had descriptions beneath them. I really enjoyed this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought that any connection could be made between Hairspray and Charles I's rule, but after reading your post I can definitely see how the two very different things are so similar. This blog post was very interesting and I liked how you were very clear saying the specific character that is just like Charles I. Great job!

    ReplyDelete