Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Phil, You Got Some Cat On Your Shoe Again




London, June 19, 1670
This blog post displays how I believe a day in London, England during the late 1600's would be like when recorded in a journal.

Dear my future self and others,

That sounds about right doesn’t it? I have decided to start writing my daily life down to help whoever finds this whether it be ten years from now or three hundred forty four (completely random) what a day in my life would be like. It is quite disgusting to be honest. The streets are full of dead cats and dogs along with their and our own waste. You have to keep an eye out where you’re walking or else BAM your brand new shoes are now covered in a decaying cat, it kind of kills the mood of receiving new shoes. If that wasn’t fun enough the water here, well it’s... um… foul to be nice. It tastes like sickness if that makes any sense, probably not. Just an odd observation made by myself. 

To start out my day, my brother had become ill. Not the ‘I am going to die’ cold, more like ‘I’m only sneezing but, it is annoying’ cold.  So I accompanied him with the journey of bleeding out. Ah yes the process went smoothly but, I don’t understand how doctors do it. Just the thought makes me want to throw up. At least my brother is free of any illness that was inside him now. Which is all that matters in the long run. Medicine is so advanced now, we would all be dead if it weren’t for this practice. I wonder how much farther we have come in this field once I pass…

I decided to reward myself for not passing out while my brother bleed out. I bought a wig, in the latest style of course. Last seasons may be on sale but, honey I am not putting something so unstylish on my head. It’s so perfect, I almost don’t want to wear it out, for the fear of bugs crawling in it. But, the other half of me says show it off to everyone. So I did, everyone I walked by started stepping in the filth that is London because of the hair that didn’t belong to me. It was glorious, sometimes I’d laugh but then sometimes I’d give off a sympathetic look like, yeah I know, it had that effect on me too. I think the main reason why I love my wig so much is that it complements the patch on my cheek so well.

Now my favorite time of the day, dinner. I like to eat anything meat. Such as, mutton, rabbit, chicken, lobster and carp. Anything really that was once alive and then simmered to perfection. The one thing I don’t like at all is vegetables. I don’t understand how anyone could or want to eat an abundance of them. Personally, I think go big with the meat or go home. For this meal, I had prepared some chicken legs and carp. They are always delicious, just the way my mother taught me how to make them, I’d tell you but I’d have to kill you. Just kidding, but it is a family secret so don’t even think about asking.

 This is an average day for me, I realize it’s pretty boring besides the fact I wooed London with my wig. I wish I had more to add to my day but, alas the life of a commoner is quite dull. So I end this entry with my signature, maybe someday it’ll be worth a fortune. One can only dream, just like that crazy man I met on the streets saying how it is completely possible to cook without fire! The King's Court need to do a better job locking up the insane.

Warm Regards,                                                                                                                                                                         
Phillip Hutchinson




Bibliography:

Picard, Lisa.  “Sex, Lice, and Chamber Pots in Pepys’ London.”  17 February 2011.  British Broadcasting Company.  http://tinyurl.com/LondonDayintheLife.

 
Pictography:

 "Cats and Shoes." RSS.  Web. 25 Feb. 2014. Lovemeow <http://lovemeow.com/2009/10/10-cats-and-shoes-pictures/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment