Monday, February 24, 2014

Guy Fawkes Grew Up

The 2013 movie, The Purge, is a horror/thriller movie about the future of America.  "The Purge" is a yearly holiday during which the government rewards it's citizens with a 12-hour legal crime period.  From the hours 12pm-12am every June 7, citizens can commit any crime they would like.  Many people stay safe inside their homes, while some go out and vandalize, steal, and murder.  During these 12 hours, all emergency services are suspended, and everyone is on their own.               
        
  4612EFDE-E47C-F29B-F873E5FE1DD880D7.jpg (1000×564)

The movie focuses on one particular wealthy family of four, who lock up their house and stay safe inside every year.  This year, the son sees a man being hunted down by a group of people, and decides to let him into their house.  When the killers realize he is in their house, they surround the property, and continue to taunt and scare the family through their surveillance cameras.

Everyone in the gang is wearing creepy masks, to hide their identity.  The masks resemble more modern-looking Guy Fawkes masks.  

gf_mask1.jpg (259×288)
Guy Fawkes
G4vVMpd.jpg (600×800)
The Purge
Both masks represent fear, whether it be in the 1600's or 2000's.  Each mask features a male face, with raised eyebrows, high cheekbones, a long nose, and a creepy smile.  These faces may very well represent the face of evil.  

The producers took an old, well-known, worldwide idea, and incorporated it into a modern day movie.  I saw The Purge long before I learned about Guy Fawkes, but I know understand and appreciate the movie more.  This movie isn't that scary, and doesn't really have a good plot, so I wouldn't exactly recommend it.  Even though the movie isn't that great, I have to admire the work of the producers for adding a historical allusion.

Pictography:
"Guy Fawkes Mask" http://new-world-order-plan.org/wp-content/uploads/gf_mask1.jpg
"The Purge Mask" http://i.imgur.com/G4vVMpd.jpg
"The Purge 2013" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2184339/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm

6 comments:

  1. I think this blog post is great! I have seen The Purge before but never noticed that the masks resemble Guy Fawkes. You did a great job tying a historical event to a modern movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Kylie! You did a really good job describing the plot, I could really tell what the movie was about and how the masks resemble. I agree that the two masks do resemble "evil" because of their creepy features. I liked how you added pictures to show the resemblance between the two masks, it really helped show your description of the high cheekbones and eyebrows. Overall, I thought you did a good job showing the resemblance between the two masks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your post! At first I didn't know how it was going to be connected but after reading it, I thought it was a really cool idea! I also liked how you put the two pictures of the masks side by side to show the similarities. I thought your post was really creative and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on this post. You made an interesting connection between something we learned in class and a very popular movie. I liked how you added the side by side picture so we were able to see the similarities. You also included good detail to show how they were similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I had never noticed the allusion before! I've never seen the movie but I know the basic summary and I think it's very clever of them to have used these masks that resemble Guy Fawkes. Also, I thought this post was very creative and I would have never thought of it myself. I definitely appreciate the movie more as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking for this kind of posts and this post is too good. Thanks for the post and keep updating.

    Purge Mask

    ReplyDelete