Wednesday, February 5, 2014

History in Salem


      

In history class, we had previously learned about the Salem witch trials.  I was really interested in the topic so I went online and found a very helpful website(The Salem Witch Trials of 1692) that had lots of information on the trials.  During this time, Salem had become a very dangerous place to live.  Almost everyone who was accused of witchcraft was either killed brutally or put in jail for a very long time where they usually died.  The females who were accused got hung while the males were pressed to death with stones.  I found out that males who were accused of witchcraft were often called "wizards".  In 1692, 19 people were hung on Gallows Hill.  Below is a picture of Gallows Hill today.
                                         http://www.boudillion.com/gallowshill/gallowshill.htm

This website is a great source and I learned a lot from it that I didn't know before.  It provides information on certain individuals who were killed, their stories, the procedures in the trials and much more.  Also, the website provides information on accusers, confessors, and judges.  It relates to what we learned in class because it has a lot of useful background information on the Salem Witch Trials.  Some of the people we learned about were even mentioned such as Tituba and Sarah Good.

The history of Salem is certainly very scary to think about and I'm glad I wasn't alive during the trials!        

2 comments:

  1. When I was talking about The Salem Witch Trials with my mom she told me that even though it didn't sound right, when talking about a person you say "hanged" instead of "hung". I had not known before that it was just the females who were hanged, and the "wizards" had a separate punishment. Overall, I really liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Anna! I was interested in reading your post just from the title. I knew it was something we had learned about so I thought it would be good to learn a little more. I thought your post was well written and I learned a lot from it overall great job.

    ReplyDelete