Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Puppet-Masters

Vladimir Putin has been controlling Russia for a long time. He was the president from 2000-2008 and 2012 till now. He has made some major laws that have disappointed many Russians. One law he just issued was that gay people couldn’t be openly associated with one another. Vladimir Putin thought that they were a threat to Russian pride and unity.



Vladimir Putin
This easily made many Russians mad and angry. Putin also banned any gay propaganda meaning adults couldn’t tell minors it’s okay to be gay. The results of going against Putin’s laws is to be put in jail or fined. People in Russia are still protesting against Putin persecuting against gays and lesbians. 


Just like the gay and lesbian Russians the Huguenots, or Protestants, were seen as threats to France. Louis XIV thought that they were a threat to political and religious unity. Louis took away the Edict of Nantes along with the Huguenots freedom. The Edict of Nantes allowed the Protestants to practice freely with no harm from anyone else.

Louis XIV

Both Putin and Louis were very powerful leaders who were feared by many people. They were so threatening that many people were scared of them. Russians wouldn’t want to protest against Putin because of what he can do. Putin has the power and can control what occurs to the lawbreakers. Louis was so threatening that when the Edict of Nantes was cancelled 100,000 Huguenots fled France. Persecution by prominent leaders has occurred both in the 1600’s and today in Russia.

Bibliography:
"Profile: Vladimir Putin" 7 June 2013. BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15047823

"Louis XIV of France" painting. Wikepedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_XIV_of_France

"Vladimir Putin" photograph. Wikepedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin

Dutch New paper. DutchNews.nl Monday 08 April 2013 photograph. 
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/04/putin_says_all_russians_are_eq.php

9 comments:

  1. Great job! You made a great connection to something that is happening now, and something that happened so long ago. I find it really sad that today, people are still told they can't be open, practice their religion, or even protest for their rights. I can only imagine how scary it must have been, and still is for people who go against the laws, as the consequences are so big. I really liked how you provided pictures, I think they added a lot. Overall, I really liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you brought two seemingly different conflicts together and demonstrated how they are actually very alike. I also was drawn in by your pictures. Since the Olympics just occurred, and Russia was the host country, I recognized Putin's face from the opening ceremonies right away. I didn't really know who he was, so seeing him made me want to read on so I could find out. I also really liked your post because you not only brought into attention to the unjust of an issue from the past, but also of an issue in the present. I think that to discriminate based on love and religion is ridiculous and I liked how your post highlighted that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthie,
    This is great! I love how you connect two topics in a way that I never would've thought about before. I recognized Putin, but I didn't know the full story. Now I can totally see what you meant. The way Putin is persecuting gays is the same as how Louis XIV persecuted the Huguenots, and it's clearly had negative affects on both countries. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your blog post; the title itself made me curious enough to read on! Putin banning gay rights for the people of Russia was very sad and shocking. I think you made a great connection when comparing this discrimination to when Louis XIV banned and executed the Huguenots. I liked that you included multiple pictures, which made the post more interesting and understandable. It also looks like you did a good job with your bibliography and pictography, which can be hard sometimes. One small suggestion I can give you would be to add a few more facts and expand on Louis XIV and the Edict of Nantes. You could have also added more to your last paragraph comparing the two topics. Other than that, you did a fantastic job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Ruthie! You did a really good job showing the connection between Louis XIV and Putin. Your blog post brings up a good point, there was absolute power during Louis XIV's time and there still is today. Both of these rulers did not let certain people be themselves because they thought they were a threat to the community. I can really tell that many people are affected by these rulers, and can see that there are still signs of absolute power today. Overall, really nice job Ruthie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Ruthie! I think this was a very interesting connection to our recent studies about Louis XIV. Back in 17th century France, the major political problem was the Huguenots vs the Catholics. Today, one of our major political issues is gay marriage. With both of these issues, you can see someone of very high power or absolute power promote the unfair discrimination of a group of people, so these problems are quite similar. Also, just as revoking the Edict of Nantes caused lots of political upset and anger towards Louis XIV in France, I think Putin banning gay rights will cause lots of political upset and anger towards him in Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruthie, this was great! I loved how easily your post flowed from Putin's persecution of LGBTQ Russians straight into our studies of Louis XIV's persecution of the Huguenots. Because we've been studying Louis XIV so recently, and with Russia being in the limelight lately due to the Olympics, I found your post to be very fresh and new, where as some times trying to relate current events to history can be a drag. I think you nailed this blogpost and did a wonderful job engaging your audience, especially with the title, which had me interested right away. Although both Putin and Louis XIV's actions are disappointing and saddening, your post has been one of the best and most interesting I've read in a while, so, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you connected these two very different subjects together. I like how you added how going against either Putin or Louis XIV were kind of like he same thing. If a person decided to go against their ruler, they would be risking what they had worked so hard to get in their lives. It was very interesting to read because I had never thought of this connection. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a very good post! I like how you tied in a topic that the whole world is hearing about with the Olympics having been in Russia, to a topic that we just learned so it is fresh in our minds. You made some great points as to how they were similar, like how the people feared them. I had never thought of this connection before but now that you wrote about it, I see that it makes sence. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete