Thursday, February 13, 2014

The End for the Inca


I was thinking hard on what to write for this blog post when I remembered that a saw an episode of abc's Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition. This episode featured a young girl named Ashley was tracking her weight loss journey. Along this journey, Ashley happens to be challenged to climb the steps at Manchu Picchu for her sixth month weigh in. They got to see the home of the Incas from a spectacular view and also learn so much about it. I can connect this to what I have learned in history this class this year, because I did a short project on Francisco Pizarro, the Spanish conquistador who conquered the Incan Empire, while learning about the age of exploration.










I knew a lot about the Incan before this year, but I learned even more this year by doing my sensory figure project on Francisco Pizarro. For the project, my group I was working with had to come up with things that he would smell, hear, taste, see etc. while he was on his voyages to explore the new world.


















We said that he would taste a delicious Incan meal that the Inca prepared upon his arrival because they didn't think of the Spanish as a threat considering their emperor Atahualpa had just won a civil war. We also said that Francisco Pizarro would hear the captured Incan leader Atahualpa offering a ransom of money so that he could keep his own life. In the end, Francisco took the life of Atahualpa and the treasure. It wasn't so easy for him however. On the way to the New World we said he would have felt frustration because at many points in time his crew wanted to call it quits and go home.













The voyage home would have been must different though as Pizarro would be feeling success and see all of his new treasure. The Incan Empire was defeated at the hands of Francisco Pizarro and Manchu Picchu was left empty.








I personally liked the show and I found it entertaining. It isn't focused on Machu Picchu so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who wanted to learn a little history from it, but it did show amazing views of the ancient ruins left behind by the Inca.


pictures from grade4explorers3.pbworks.com and youtube.com

4 comments:

  1. I don't know why this came out with so much space in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, I thought that you made a good connection with a popular TV show and the Incas. I also did a project on Pizzaro and his attack on the Incas so I could see that all of the information you used was accurate, and also detailed. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Your post connected very well to what we learned on the Inca, and it was also very historically accurate. I really liked your addition of Pizzaro's feelings throught his journey instead of simply stating what we learned in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a really good job connecting these two things! I also watched that season, and now it is all coming together. I like how you made a strong connection between two totally different things, and provided enough details to support it well.

    ReplyDelete