Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Repeating Mistakes

As we speak, the Ukrainian Prime Minister is running from his execution. A man who had taken a lot of the countries money and killed many of their countrymen had fled and is still no where to be found. Viktor Yanukovych will be killed as soon as he is found by his countries people because of the horrible things he had done to them. I will prove how similar the mistakes of Charles I and Viktor Yanukovich are.
Viktor Yanukovych

Charles I and Yanukovych are/were both leaders who tried to have too much power. They were trying to exceed their rightful power and did it in the wrong way. They both ran into money troubles and became corrupt. They looked for money from foreign powers and it impacted the sovereignty of their countries.  Both were not loyal to their country and had taken advantage of their power and were not happy enough, they needed more and would do anything to get it.

Another similarity between Charles I and Viktor Yanukovych was that each leader was supported by external powers. Charles I was supported by the Cavaliers while facing the disapproval and hatred of the Roundheads. Yanukovych was supported by the Russians while his country's people wanted him not only to resign, but dead. Both of these leaders had a support group while enduring what people thought of what they did to their country. These groups wanted to help their leaders because they agreed on the same things. Charles I was a dedicated Catholic and that is why the Cavaliers were on his side. Yanukovych is pro- Russia and that is why Russia helped him.

Like we have previously talked about in class, if you do not learn about history and the importance of what had happened people will repeat the same mistakes. George Santayana said; "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." We need to learn the mistakes that were made in the past so our leaders do not repeatedly make the same mistakes to ruin our countries.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that the connection was great and that you supported the connection. I wish that you could have used more pictures and made your paragraphs smaller. But, I thought you really found a perfect connection and you supported it with great facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the connection between these two horrible leaders. I think that the situation is getting worse in the Ukraine because Russian soldiers are stationed in there now. I like the pictures you put on the blog and I think that the closing of the paragraphs could have been stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this Nikki. I liked how you connected Charles I to Viktor Yanukovych. You used a lot of great information and it was very intriguing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete