Thursday, February 27, 2014

Frozen Relating to the Renaissance


Have you ever watched a movie and then soon after realize that it relates with what you are learning in class. The movie Frozen relates greatly to what we learned about in honors history 9 class. It ties into the Renaissance and in ways you wouldn't even think of. The article "From the Heat of Royal Passion, Poof! It’s Permafrost"  in The New York Times by Stephen Holden talks about Frozen. I have also seen frozen and think that many of its small details have much to do with the Renaissance.

The Renaissance is "the period of European history at the close of the Middle Ages and the rise of the modern world; a cultural rebirth from the 14th through the middle of the 17th centuries" Frozen takes place in the 19th  century so it is only a few years after the time of the Renaissance.
The Renaissance was a time for improving weapons, arts, being more technologically advanced and the way people dressed. Also some countries would get married to ally against other countries. This was a time for the world to advance.


In Frozen many of the costumes were influenced by the Renaissance. The girls wore long dresses and the men wore big jackets and other clothing that showed wealth. Another way Frozen connects to the Renaissance is hen the main character Anna falls in love with a man that she shouldn't like. The sister does not stand for this because he is from a neighboring country. Therefore she does not give them her hand in marriage.

Work Cited: 




http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Frozen

13 comments:

  1. I really liked the way you connected something modern to something we learned in class. I found reading your blog post to be very interesting to read because it was easy to connect with. I really liked the movie frozen, so that also made it interesting for me to read because I liked hearing what other people thought of it. I was also intrigued to learn how you connected it to the modern day world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought of the connection between Frozen and the renaissance. Great job! You did a really good job explaining that in that time marriages were made to ally countries together and not necessarily for love. Next time I watch the movie Ill be seeing it in a completely new way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I would have never thought of the renaissance and the frozen to be similar. But now that I think about it and read your blog post it makes sense! You clearly showed the difference between the two. When I watch the move again I'm going to be looking out for these details! I loved reading this and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn,
    Great job! I never would've thought of doing this! It's really cool how you related something from hundreds of years ago to something that everyone is talking about now. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the movie yet, but when I do, I will be sure to look out for Renaissance style clothes!
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you chose a modern topic and related it to history. I was intrigued how a modern movie could relate to the renaissance. When I watched the movie frozen It never came across my mind that parts of the moie related to the renaissance. Now that you brought it to my attention looking back at the movie I can relate too. I liked how you gave examples from both renaissance and the movie and connected the two together. Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never realized how much the movie "Frozen" relates to the Renaissance before. I guess part of the reason is because I haven't seen the movie, and only heard the reviews and demands to go see the movie from my classmates. Like Meghan said, i liked how you gave examples of both the Renaissance and the movie and connected the two together. I loved how you picked a topic that no one else would have thought of, it made your post more interesting to read! You did a splendid job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your blog post! I watched the movie Frozen and when I saw the picture I had to read the blog post. Your connection makes a lot of sense. Before I didn't realize that the clothing was from the renaissance. I also liked the length. Since it was in short paragraph I wanted to read it more than if it was one long paragraph. This was very fun to read! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you made a really interesting connection. Although I haven't seen the movie Frozen I'm sure it has many connections with the Renaissance because of the connection you made. I liked how you kept the post at an appropriate length that didn't overwhelm the reader. Overall great job Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked your blog post. I think that maybe you should've added a better introduction to grab the reader's attention. Also, you could have provided a little bit more detail of what the women and men wore and maybe some pictures from Frozen compared to pictures of the Renaissance. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job Kathryn! I really liked your blog post. The connection between history class and an oscar winning movie made your post very interesting. The topic of your post would catch anyone's attention and want them to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job! your blog post was great! I can clearly see your connection between a great movie and an important subject in history. in all good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job Kathryn! I love how you connected the Renaissance to modern day. It was very intriguing and I enjoyed reading it. Good work!

    ReplyDelete