Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Star Wars and The Spanish Armada


        A long time ago in a galaxy far far away Jedi ships sailed toward the death star hoping to return back to their home planets with tales of victory. Although the enemy, called the Sith, seemed to have superior powers, more resources, and a larger battle ship the Jedi knights were determined to use clever war strategies and their smaller ships to thwart their evil plans. In 1558 fleets English ships sailed out to meet the Spanish armada with the same goals in mind.  Minus the lightsabers and Wookies, the Spanish Armada and Star Wars have more in common than you might think.






     


Both the Jedi Knights and the English fleets are smaller in numbers than their enemies. In Star Wars the Jedi’s seem as though they will not win because they have smaller ships and less fighters than the Sith. The Sith also happen to have a massive weapon named the Death Star that is much larger than any of the Jedi’s weapons, but the Jedi wont back down. The smaller ships end up helping the Jedi stop the Sith from causing destruction. The English, like the Jedi’s, were out numbered and had smaller ships that ended up benefitting them. The Spanish ships were very large, causing them to be difficult to maneuver thus giving the English an advantage in the water.  The English were able to set their ships on fire and drive the Spanish back.














         The Sith and the Spanish also had many failed attempts to defeat their opponents but failed again and again.  Each time the Sith plots to take over or do something evil the Jedi always seem to find a way to defeat them and inflict a loss. This is just like the Spanish Armada because King Philip repeatedly sent over new fleets and each time they returned with fewer numbers or don’t return at all. By the time that King Philip gives up more than half of his soldiers are dead.

Although this may seem like a silly comparison it is surprisingly accurate. In both cases the side that seems to substantially weaker or smaller pulls through and is victorious. They are both tails of an unexpected underdog saving the day. Who knows, maybe George Lucas was inspired when he learned about the Spanish Armada in school and decided to give the classic story a new spin.

Sources:
Dougs DarkworldWeb. 26 Feb. 2014. <http://unitedcats.wordpress.com/2008/10/09/another-famous-
            military-blunder-the-spanish-armada-proof-that-combining-two-good-ideas-is-a-really-bad-idea/>.

The Star Wars ReportWeb. 26 Feb. 2014. <http://www.starwarsreport.com/2012/03/21/swbtf-12-race-
            factor/>.







14 comments:

  1. Great post. The title caught my eye right when I was scrolling through the posts. You started the post off great and it got even better from there. I must say sometimes you repeated words a lot. But overall it was a great essay. Surprisingly they did connect together very well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley,
    I thought this post was really great and very creative. I have never made the comparison but after reading this I see how they relate, and they do have more in common than I thought! It was very clever of you to think of this and to compare the Spanish to The Sith. I am admittedly not a huge super-fan of the Star Wars movies but I do know the plot line and the characters and I must say they do relate to the Spanish Armada very well. I found this post extremely interesting and I thought it was very easy to follow. Amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting connection. I have to say when I first started reading I was skeptical but you really connected it well enough to get me to see the similarities. It be interesting to see if you could connect the prequels to the Spanish Armada as well, like how Spain rose to power in the first place. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post haley! This is such a great connection! I never would have thought that star wars and the spanish armada could be related, but the stories are so similar! The sith and the spanish have the same war stories, and the english and jedis have the same war stories. I never saw how closely connected the too were! You did a great job describing the connection in your post, and it was overall very well-written! Your introduction caught my attention, and i was hooked for the rest of the post! Good job! What you wrote was very entertaining and had a very clear connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is great! Star wars is a well known movie and maybe people are able to follow this post because of that. I would have never thought about tying the Spanish Armada and Star Wars together. Very creative! You pointed out many good points about how the Jedi and English were similar. They are really true underdog stories. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! This was a very interesting post! I had never thought of the connection between Star Wars and the Spanish armada. It is interesting that many well known stories can connect to things we learned in class. Right away I was hooked by your tittle. I thought, how could Star Wars have anything to do with the Spanish armada so I wanted to read to find out. Nice job! This was a very well written post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post was very creative and interesting to read. I would never have made this connection, but it makes a lot of sense! I specifically liked how your introduction paragraph pulled the reader in and made me want to keep reading. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this post. It was funny to see how much Star Wars and the Spanish Armada really do connect. The connections reminded me of a lot of other modern stories as well. I guess storytellers like the underdog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting blog! The way you connected star wars and the spanish armada was very creative. I was supprised by this clear connection. My favorite part of your blog was your first paragraph, the opening grabbed my attention and made me intrested in the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never even connected these two stories together, but I have to say it's surprisingly a clear connection. I like they way you set up your paragraphs by going back and forth between the two subjects. Your topic is very interesting and I like it. It makes you think a little. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post I loved how you manged to take two normally completely different things and connect them! I also enjoyed how you connected it to a very well known topic like Star Wars even if you haven't ever seen the movies (which most people have) the majority of people have at least heard of it. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Haley, I really liked that you took two concepts that were basically completely opposite each other and managed to connect them in a logical and clear manner! I really liked the way that the post started off with a connection to Star Wars but then it went on to prove that it wasn't as fictional as it may seem. I would challenge you to try and see if there were any other connections to Star Wars and any other parts of history :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really appreciate posts like these because as a kid I was obsessed with star wars. I think things that you can connect to make a story so much better. One of my favorite parts was your opening sentence because that is the classic opening line to all of the movies, and that is exactly how you open this up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I liked how you compared something known to the majority of people with a history event. I thought that your comparisons were interesting and very true. I also liked how you incorporated a lot of well known things about the movie, such as your opening. Your post was very detailed and well written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete